wineconsole: Remove the character-width check as we need newer FreeType library.

Akihiro Sagawa sagawa.aki at gmail.com
Thu Dec 15 10:18:07 CST 2011

On Wed, 14 Dec 2011 19:35:34 +0100, Eric Pouech wrote:
> this doesn't solve the printing issue as the always infer that any char has
> the same size
> how is this printed on real windows with your character set ?

See the attachment, please. It was taken in my Windows 7 PC with
Japanese Terminal font. Most of Japanese characters take up the double
width of the ASCII characters. For example, the first Japanese character
(KATAKANA LETTER DO, U+30C9) is as same width as `:¥' (=two halfwidth
characters).

Unicode Standard Annex #11, East Asian Width (*), may help understanding
East Asian character width.
* ... http://www.unicode.org/reports/tr11/

In the document, some characters are defined as ambiguous. And its
recommendation is that ambiguous characters always map to fullwidth
characters when mapping Unicode to East Asian legacy characters.

But actually it depends on locales or encodings. For instance, as shown
in the bottom echo line in the snapshot, U+E1 (LATIN SMALL LETTER A WITH
ACUTE) is halfwidth and U+B1 (PLUS-MINUS SIGN) is fullwidth in Japanese
environment.

In my humble opinion, printing issue is not good especially for users.
But, as far as I know, it doesn't occur in ASCII characters. And it is
better than showing the error message, "Couldn't find a decent font,
aborting," at starting up.

--
Akihiro Sagawa