Major mmdevapi and winmm audio bugs

Joerg-Cyril.Hoehle at t-systems.com Joerg-Cyril.Hoehle at t-systems.com
Fri Dec 16 12:36:36 CST 2011

Hi,

The present list is quite different from what I posted 2 month ago.
http://www.winehq.org/pipermail/wine-devel/2011-October/092716.html

#28723 is about handling tight timing and little prefill

#27901 is about snd_pcm_drop erroneously being used by AudioClient_Stop.
I've a patch in my queue but it depends on the "small buffer" patch discussed in #28723.

#29056
#29299 are the major "ALSA won't start without period-size frames" issue
  That can cause any affected app to hang.

#29305 one winmm device seems to stomp over the data of another one

# OSS needs to be updated to be on par with ALSA refinements

#28093 MacOS GetCurrentPadding
#28039 MacOS GetPosition (neeed to recheck)

#28388 Avoid SuspendThread, should be easy for me to fix, given time

There are QA issues not associated with a bug entry:

- Add run-time consistency checks in renderer and
  abort audio stream (GetData) upon trouble instead of hanging.
- OSS GetPosition from DSP_GETODELAY
- ALSA+OSS: ReleaseBuffer: enforce method ordering and max size like CoreAudio
- wineoss GetStreamLatency must be constant, and SNDCTL_DSP_GETODELAY
  is only usable once running
- Investigate OSS4 underrun behaviour
- Check WHDR_BEGIN/ENDLOOP code and write tests

and finally:

- Test compatibility with native DSound and file bug if unusable.
There are several reports in bugzilla mentioning that this
work-around ceased to work since 1.3.25.  Loss of interoperability
is not acceptable.

Of course there are more bugs than this.

Regards,
	Jörg Höhle