Wine FAQ edits

Albert Lee trisk at forkgnu.org
Thu Feb 3 10:17:39 CST 2011

On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 12:13 AM, Vitaliy Margolen
<wine-devel at kievinfo.com> wrote:
> On 02/02/2011 09:52 PM, Albert Lee wrote:
>>
>> I meant 'cd' is the command preceding this one in the block this is a
>> part of, if you look at the context.
>
> Then you should remove that cd instead. Starting instructions from "go to
> your home directory" just to jump somewhere else doesn't make much sense.

The instructions were intended to give some context for users who
might not be familiar with the ~ expansion.

>>  It's exec(2)'ed so it doesn't matter what the program is.
>
> Basically run in a shell. So you need an extra wrapper (env) why?

To handle PATH search, since Wine requires an absolute path. This is a
common trick used for locating interpreters for e.g. Python as well.

>> It works perfectly fine, thank you. It's not parsed by Wine and none
>> of the embedded characters are metacharacters for the registry. That's the
>>  reason for explicitly calling /bin/sh -c.
>
> Don't write programs inside registry, especially involving multiple
> expansions and output redirection. That's what the shell is for. Keep it
> there as a simple 2 line script.

It's a fairly trivial one-liner as it is, and doesn't depend on fixed
locations for a script which would typically live in a user's home
directory.

-Albert