RFC: Adding Mac support to secur32/schannel.c

Brian Vincent brian.vincent at gmail.com
Thu Feb 3 11:36:56 CST 2011

On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 6:08 PM, Juan Lang <juan.lang at gmail.com> wrote:
>> As Henri said, it's that it's a set of external dependencies (not just one; GnuTLS has its own dependencies) and that they are security-related.  To the greatest extent practical, security-related libraries should come from one's distro or OS vendor.
>
> Sure, I can buy that.  I'll note that OpenSSL is also available for
> the Mac, and already loaded by wininet and winhttp.  It could be
> appropriate to move from GnuTLS to OpenSSL for schannel, so we'd only
> have a single implementation for both Linux and Mac in schannel.

Just to be clear, legal issues were raised once before with OpenSSL.
See here for Geoff Thorpe's reply regarding this issue:
http://www.winehq.org/pipermail/wine-devel/2004-July/028061.html

It sounds like things aren't nearly as murky as other licenses, but if
we were in the position where we had to ship OpenSSL ourselves we
might run into a problem.

-Brian