Wine FAQ edits

Albert Lee trisk at forkgnu.org
Sat Feb 5 20:54:02 CST 2011

On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 9:49 PM, Vitaliy Margolen
<wine-devel at kievinfo.com> wrote:
> On 02/03/2011 09:17 AM, Albert Lee wrote:
>>
>> The instructions were intended to give some context for users who
>> might not be familiar with the ~ expansion.
>
> Then mention that if you must. "~" is used in number of other places in FAQ,
> and all over the net. Please keep it simple.

I will add that, since we're not properly explaining it currently.

>> It's a fairly trivial one-liner as it is
>
> Which will blow away most windows users who have no concept of expansions
> and redirections. You not writing developer's guide, you writing FAQ for
> clueless windows users who want Wine do what they need.

The existing implementation is not exactly transparent to new users
either, and we're not attempting to explain in detail how it works.
Instead, I am suggesting reducing the complexity of the solution,
which also reduces the work for the user.

-Albert