Wine FAQ edits

David Laight david at l8s.co.uk
Sun Feb 6 03:02:56 CST 2011

On Sat, Feb 05, 2011 at 09:49:30PM -0500, Albert Lee wrote:

> Anyone using the original Bourne sh *interactively* is in for a world
> of pain anyway (speaking as someone who often had to before the ksh93
> replacement). I think relying on tilde expansion can can be considered
> good practice for the interactive use case.

I wouldn't rely on ~ expansion - not unless you detect that it
has returned empty string.
Although anyone using a system that doesn't support it (most likely
Solaris's /bin/sh) will probably know how to avoid the problem, not
knowing what is wrong is more problematical.

Adding a few 'sh' conditional substitutions to a script might show
some people just how powerful the language is - especially if they
have onely ever seen windows cmd.com .bat scripts.

I've seen some recent systems fail to expand ~ properly (for some
definition of the word 'properly') most noticably cygwin on windoes 7.

	David

David Laight: david at l8s.co.uk