CD handling on MacOS - the big picture?

Joerg-Cyril.Hoehle at t-systems.com Joerg-Cyril.Hoehle at t-systems.com
Fri Feb 11 10:23:13 CST 2011

Hi,

the last years have seen individual patches by K. Thomases and C. Davis
to Mac OSX' CD handling, but I don't see the big picture.

Mixed CDs occur in some games, but some audio CDs
contain "bonus content" as well.

On MacOS, mixed CDs are mounted as two volumes
 - the audio part,
 - the data/binary section
not unlike Gnome which also displays 2 disc icons on the desktop.

On Linux, Wine manages to map both to a single CD-ROM
drive letter like D:, such that
 - D:\data\foo.exe works as well as
 - MCICDA: open D: type cdaudio alias D; play D work (but see bug 20555),
which mimics native's behaviour.

On MacOS, we're not there yet. I've no idea how that can be made to work.
How would Wine on MacOS join the pieces?

Regards,
 Jörg Höhle