iphlpapi: Hint what to do when icmp does not work

Charles Davis cdavis at mymail.mines.edu
Fri Feb 11 12:44:59 CST 2011

On 2/11/11 11:31 AM, Janne Hakonen wrote:
> Maybe this information could be added to http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ
> instead?
Judging from wine-users, nobody bothers to read that, at least until
someone tells them to.

For that matter, nobody bothers to read the logs either. It's kinda sad,
actually. Most users on wine-users expect someone else to read the logs
for them and then magically fix everything. No, it's worse than that:
all they usually see is that something bad happened, and then they post
to wine-users and somebody has to *tell* them to post logs. (And there's
probably a sticky on the forum telling them to do that!) And like I
said, they don't even look at the log; they just copy from Terminal (or
Konsole, or whatever xterm-like app they use) and paste into their email
or forum post, and never even bother to see what the log actually says
because it's all gibberish to them. So then the people who actually know
what they're doing have to sift through the log for them, and they can't
be too happy about that.

On second thought, maybe it would be best if we put it into the FAQ. At
least then the forum moderators can post a terse "look in the FAQ"
response. Like I said earlier, we certainly shouldn't print this message
unconditionally to the winediag channel.

Also, for the future, I recommend bottom-posting instead of top-posting.
Just a little style note.

Chip