Anyone using Wine D3D under Parallels?

Misha Koshelev misha680 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 15 19:24:19 CST 2011

On Tue, Feb 15, 2011 at 6:50 PM, Henri Verbeet <hverbeet at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 15 February 2011 21:37, Misha Koshelev <misha680 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> and noticed that although glxinfo reports:
>> misha at ubuntu:~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Tag$ glxinfo | grep -i render
>> direct rendering: Yes
>> OpenGL renderer string: Parallels using NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M OpenGL Engine
>>
> Is that a 32-bit or 64-bit Ubuntu?
64-bit.

> The 32-bit drivers on 64-bit Ubuntu
> have a tendency to be broken, although in this case that would
> probably be Parallels' responsibility and not Ubuntu's. Two general
> points though:
>  - Don't use Ubuntu for serious development.
What would you recommend using? Do you mean MacOS itself in this
specific instance, or was that a general comment (i.e., use Fedora not
Ubuntu).

>  - Don't use VMs for GL/D3D development, unless you can fix the
> drivers yourself.
Thank you. Duly noted.

> I'm sure it's all kinds of fun to make it work, but it's not very
> productive, and you end up with a somewhat questionable configuration
> for testing.

Misha

p.s. As a note I've actually had similar results in my testing with
Mac OS vs VMs. In fact, there are some bugs I was _only_ able to
reproduce in the VM (I got an error about a mode not being available
within the Mac OS version).