GSOC idea to implement the explorer

Juan Lang juan.lang at gmail.com
Tue Feb 22 11:20:52 CST 2011

Hi Andrew,

> Though I understand this is probably the lower priority on the wine
> developers list. As integrating into Linux desktop is probably the
> preferred and most used mode. I thought that sharing reactos explorer
> and working on making a complete explorer(including extensions) would
> be the goal.
> Though now I'm saying it I feel rather silly, as this really is the
> least important part of wine.

Hey, if it's your itch, feel free to scratch it.  I actually would
like to see a better explorer in Wine, if nothing else to have a more
intuitive way to play around with the shell namespace than opening a
file/save dialog.  I haven't had time to work on it myself.

Regarding sharing code:  last I heard, the official attitude is "it's
complicated."  C++ code isn't acceptable in the Wine tree at all, of
course, so that ruled out ReactOS's explorer long ago.  New
submissions that are aimed at their tree as well as ours would
probably be acceptable.
--Juan