64-bit Notepad2 crashes

David Laight david at l8s.co.uk
Sat Jan 1 06:07:11 CST 2011

On Fri, Dec 31, 2010 at 06:14:52PM -0700, James McKenzie wrote:

> set | grep LIBRARY
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/Applications/Wine.app/Contents/Resources/Lib
>
> is what I get on my Mac (LD_LIBRARY_PATH has to be set due to the
> UNIXness of Wine.)

Really a properly linked elf binary shouldn't need LD_LIBRARY_PATH
be set in order to find its libraries.
LD_LIBRARY_PATH should only be used to override the default assignments.
(Linux has a complete fubar here, and you have to do something obscure
to get LD_LIBRARY_PATH to override the info in the elf image.)

If you run 'objdump -p program' the RPATH entries show which which
directories are searched.
Additionally $ORIGIN can be used (in RPATH) entries to refer to the
directory that contains the program binary.

The RPATH entries typically need to be different for 32bit and 64bit
binaries on a 64bit system.

The library names are shown in the NEEDED entries (the value comes from
the soname property of the library found when linking the program.
This is usually just foo.so, but can contain directory names.

	David

David Laight: david at l8s.co.uk