windowscodecs: Use Mac OS X native ICNS support, not libicns.

Damjan Jovanovic damjan.jov at gmail.com
Wed Jan 5 05:25:37 CST 2011

On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 1:04 PM, Ken Thomases <ken at codeweavers.com> wrote:
> Hi Damjan,
>
> I was intrigued to see the ICNS support you added to windowscodecs some months ago.  Neat work!

Thank you.

> However, I'm confused about why you used the third-party libicns library.  As near as I can tell, the ICNS support is only used on Mac OS X and it's not likely to ever be used elsewhere.  If that's the case, why did you not build it on top of the native ICNS support built into Mac OS X?  Using the native frameworks would avoid one more external dependency that would need to be shipped with Wine on the Mac.
>
> I'm attaching a patch that changes to using the ApplicationServices framework instead of libicns.  I wanted to get your input before sending it to wine-patches.  What do you think?

Alexandre wanted ICNS writing to be done using windowscodecs, and I
don't have access to a Mac so I didn't know about any alternative.

It doesn't seem like a good idea to introduce a platform-specific
dependency for ICNS support, but you might want to get feedback from
other Wine developers.

By the way, as for your other patch, freedesktop also supports
multiple icon sizes, but it uses a strange directory structure to do
it which I haven't quite gotten to work yet.

Thank you
Damjan