windowscodecs: Use Mac OS X native ICNS support, not libicns

Joerg-Cyril.Hoehle at t-systems.com Joerg-Cyril.Hoehle at t-systems.com
Wed Jan 12 08:44:17 CST 2011

Ken,

Thank you! Indeed I never installed libicns on my Mac (why use an
external library on the particular OS that created the need for ICNS
format support?)  and even reverted Damjan's patch to still create
.png images like the Linux systems. Then I use sips -i to create
.command files with icons -- as I explained on the Wiki.
http://wiki.winehq.org/MacOSX/FAQs

>Besides being referenced by .desktop files which aren't used,
Why not instead create .command files like I explain on the Wiki?

Basically, instead of xyz.desktop:
Path=/foo/bar
Exec=env WINEPREFIX=... wine ...
Icon=...

create a xyz.command:
#! /bin/sh
cd /foo/bar && exec env WINEPREFIX=... wine ...

>the ICNS files are written to /tmp, as things stand.
Good. It's valuable to have a place where to obtain the icons
even after the installer finishes. I'm used to peeking at
~/.local/share/icons to see which icons I can associate
with .command files on MacOS (and .desktop on Linux).

In my particular case, it's useful to have the .png because
I can use it for both Linux and MacOS.

Regards,
 Jörg Höhle
FWIW, I've compiled 1.3.11 which includes your patch but have not tested it yet.