Policy regarding 3rd party "windows" distributions and winetest

F Capela darkwalker_ at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 30 12:29:04 CST 2011

> From: GOUJON Alexandre <ale.goujon at gmail.com>

> On 01/30/2011 04:47 PM, James McKenzie wrote:
>> On 1/27/11 7:04 PM, Dan Kegel wrote:
>>> I suspect that we should discourage people from submitting
>>> winetest results from 3rd party repackagings of Microsoft Windows,
>>> e.g. http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/4254053/MicroXP_v0.82_-_eXPerience
>>>
>>> Agreed?
>> +1.  And that is a pirate version of Windows anyway.
> I don't see the point ...
> I mean, yeah it's not legal, it's bad and what you want but what about if they
>provide results that differ from the daily bot results ?
> Do you think this 'stripped' version can cause failures that would not happen
>on real windows ?
> Should we ignore these results ?

I always customize my personal use Windows installs with nLite or something like
that, and can say first hand that it can cause problems, and difficult to
diagnose ones at that. And while I can often determine which component missing
or misconfigured is causing the problem (since it was me in the first place that
did choose to remove that specific component), I would bet the common user that
downloads a stripped down version of Windows more often than not has no idea of
the side effects.

Couple it with winetest being a fairly comprehensive test of the Windows APIs,
and I would bet such trimmed down windows to be prone to false issues.