[2/3] cmd/tests: Add support for todo_wine constructions (try 2)

Jacek Caban jacek at codeweavers.com
Tue Jun 14 09:20:46 CDT 2011

On 6/14/11 3:04 PM, Frédéric Delanoy wrote:
> 2011/6/14 Jacek Caban<jacek at codeweavers.com>:

>>> Which else are you talking about?
>>>
>>> The following ok(TRUE,...) serves when there's a todo_wine which has
>>> "succeeded", to get messages like "Test succeeded inside todo block:
>>> match at line XXX"
>>> Without it (i.e. without at least one "true" OK), successful todos
>>> aren't caught, as Dan Kegel pointed out (and I've verified).
>> I was talking about something like this:
>>
>> }else {
>>     if(!is_todo_wine)
>>     else todo_wine
>>         ok(!err, ...);
>> }
>>
>> If the tests succeeded, err will be NULL, so this ok will produce "Test
>> succeeded inside todo block" error.
> I tried what you say but it didn't work: the test runner doesn't even
> go that far, and doesn't detect any todo, just says something like
>
> batch: 44 tests executed (0 marked as todo, 0 failures), 0 skipped.
>
> instead of the>  100 tests (with a couple of todos for the mkdir
> patch) it should make.
>
> Simply replacing "ok(0,...)" and "ok(TRUE,...)" by "ok(!res,...)"
> works,

Sure it works. But... what were your previous sentences about?

>   but is not more clear IMHO

ok(TRUE, ...) simply doesn't make sense. All we care is that tests don't
fail. A number of succeeded tests doesn't matter and ok(TRUE, ...) is
just an useless expression. todo_wine ok(TRUE, ...) makes some sense,
but still, it looks hackish, so I'd rather avoid it.

> Anyway, the current test runner code is a bit fragile/ugly at times
> right now, and would need some refactoring (e.g. to factor out
> @keyword@ expansion, give better error messages,...) but that is
> probably out of scope of this patch series.

I don't see what's so ugly about it. Factoring out @keyword@ expansions
won't make things any cleaner, IMO. Parsing code is so simple here that
I wouldn't make a big deal out of it. Error messages don't matter much -
after all you should never see them. Perhaps printing the whole failed
line may help writing tests a bit, but that's just one trivial change here.

Jacek