Re: GSoC-2011: Implement Missing Mesh Functions in Wine’s D3DX9

Dylan Smith dylan.ah.smith at gmail.com
Wed Jun 22 20:30:34 CDT 2011

On Wed, Jun 22, 2011 at 4:08 PM, Stefan Dösinger <stefandoesinger at gmx.at> wrote:
> I'll have to do some more background reading on the kind of mesh data structures used here before I can give qualified comments on your patches, so for now I'll yield to Dylan :-)

I couldn't actually find information on point representative data (aka
PointReps), but a quick search found others wondering what it is.
Basically it is an array of vertex indices, one for each vertex, each
with either its own index or the index of an co-located vertex.

e.g. If you have triangles ABC and DEF (as shown below), with two sets
of points co-located, and the vertex buffer stored in alphabetical
order. Then the point_reps array would be [0, 1, 2, 2, 1, 5] to
indicate that vertices B & C can replace E & D respectively.

  A---(B/E)
  |  / |
  | /  |
(C/D)--F

The adjacency buffer is documented well enough on MSDN for
GenerateAdjacency
(http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb205737(v=VS.85).aspx) and
seems to be used in this method for determining which vertices are
co-located.

I hope that helps.