correct comctl32 implementation

Nikolay Sivov bunglehead at gmail.com
Sat Mar 12 04:42:58 CST 2011

On 3/12/2011 09:54, Andrew Green wrote:
> Thank you for the quick reply.
> so is it the case is that multiple dll's versions will be generated to
> be used by SxS(as WinSxS contains multiple comctl32.dll)?
Again, we don't want to keep multiple versions, so we need a way to work
with single one.
> I know uxtheme draws primitives. What I meant to ask was will any work
> have to be done in uxtheme(apart from maybe the occasional bug fix,
> not a new implementation of it or anything like that)?
Sure, bugs are possible, especially since uxtheme is not widely used.
> The last point about window class redirection I'm a bit confused
> about. I really don't know anything about it. This patch exists so it
> sounds like it is supported.
> http://osdir.com/ml/wine-patches/2009-12/msg00871.html
> So would it just be that case that comctl32(version 6) re-registers
> the controls that are normally in user32?
No, it's not supported. As I said here
http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/msg59786.html
we also need some ntdll improvements for activation contexts to support
this stuff better. FindActCtxSectionString()
shouldn't be hard to improve but you need to figure out closed data
structures format, at least some useful
fields (without disassembler, wine test suite only).

> If anyone could provide me with any information or reading material. I
> would be very thankful.
I don't think it's documented, I mean loading process itself to replace
registered classes.
You can't try to search for "<windowClass></windowClass>" entry
description for SxS manifests.

As I remember I failed to find any explanation for that, so this needs
extensive tests in a first place.
Also be sure to test only behaviour without looking inside any MS modules.