GSOC CMD parser.

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 13 20:14:16 CDT 2011

On 3/12/11 6:18 PM, Joel Teichroeb wrote:
> I'm quite interested in the idea on the wiki of improving the CMD
> parser and fixing the bugs. I brought this up in the IRC and it was
> mentioned that there was some discussion of using bison/flex for
> parsing. I don't think that would be feasible for me to do in just
> three months but I'm wondering if that is the direction that is wanted
> for the CMD parser.
I think that you have a good plan, but you should limit your scope of
work to maybe one or two bugs and work on them.  Taking on the 'whole'
bug thing may prove to be overwhelming.

As an example, I picked up a bug report from someone else and have been
working on it, off and on, over three years.  This was to add a complex
function and it was implemented completely wrong and I realized this
after much work.

You might also want to look at finishing some of the missing tests and
filing bugs for the missing functions.  This depends on your 'c'
programming skills and your ability to discover sources for CMD functions.

Overall, I don't have the ability to say whether or not this would be a
good GSOC candidate, but we do need someone to look into the CMD parser
and figure out if there is a better way to implement it.

James McKenzie