d3dx10: Float16To32Array and Float32To16Array (GSoC)

Stefan Dösinger stefandoesinger at gmx.at
Sun Mar 20 13:02:32 CDT 2011

On Sunday 20 March 2011 18:15:20 Joshua Beck wrote:
> I'm looking for feedback on an idea for a Google Summer of Code project.
Cool, thanks for your interest!

> I looked at bugzilla and found that the D3DX9 versions of
> Float16To32Array and Float32To16Array were needed for some games to run.
> I thought that implementing those functions would make a good Google
> Summer of Code project, but later discovered that Misha Koshelev had
> already implemented them in a patch that wasn’t committed yet.
I think those two functions are way too small for a summer of code
project(~2.5 months of work). I implemented the original half-float conversion
code in wined3d, and it took me about a day with some tests. This code didn't
have to deal with too many special cases, so the d3dx* implementation is a bit
more work, but still not enough to fill 2.5 months.