FAQ translation possible?

Frédéric Delanoy frederic.delanoy at gmail.com
Wed May 4 07:21:19 CDT 2011

On Wed, May 4, 2011 at 07:24, Ove Kåven <ovek at arcticnet.no> wrote:
> Den 04. mai 2011 00:49, skrev Frédéric Delanoy:
>> But in any case, the language to use should preferably be autoselected
>> from WineHQ's lang cookie IMHO.
>
> The way I understand moinmoin, you need to create a new wiki page with
> the translated content. This is typically done by also translating the
> page name itself, i.e. if you have an English "MyProject", then you have
> a "MeinProjekt" page in German.

Anyway, the version of moinmoin used here is dated and doesn't support
on-page-change notification, which makes translation (but especially
further maintainance) tricky.

I tried to find the wiki/web server responsible, but without success.
Who's responsible for the server? J. Newman?

> Once the translation exist, you can update moinmoin's dictionary page
> (the GermanDict page in this case), so that it knows that MeinProjekt is
> a German translation of MyProject. With that done, if a German user
> accesses MyProject, there will be a toolbar entry to take them to the
> German version.
>
> MoinMoin can do even better for the front page, because if the user
> accesses the wiki without requesting a specific page, then moinmoin can
> itself choose which front page to return. It's chosen based on the
> preferred language of the user's browser, and it will search its
> dictionary to find what the name of that language's front page is. So
> German people would automatically get StartSeite instead of FrontPage.
>
> Then, of course, that front page would contain links to the pages of the
> language it is written in. So German users would automatically be served
> the German frontpage, and all German pages (like StartSeite) would link
> to MeinProjekt where the English pages (like FrontPage) would link to
> MyProject.
>
> This scheme, of course, works best if the people putting content into
> the wiki are careful not to use acronyms like FAQ as page names.

Thanks for the info.

Frédéric