Trailing white space and other pedantry.

max at mtew.isa-geek.net max at mtew.isa-geek.net
Mon May 16 11:34:09 CDT 2011

From: Max TenEyck Woodbury<max at mtew.isa-geek.net>

I have been working on the documentation extraction problem and code
analysis problem.

I have made some progress with the program I am writing to do this.  It
reads the same files as c2man.pl does, but does a more detailed parse
of the code.  In fact, it even reads and processes all the include
files.  It is far from complete at this time, but it does produce
interesting warnings.

One of the warnings reports lines with trailing while space.  It has
turned up quite a few places where this occurs.  If I understand the
preferred style, there should not be trailing white space.  The
question I have is what should I do with them.  I can either fix the
files or turn that particular warning off.  So far, I have been fixing
the files on a local copy of the repository.

Should I turn the fixes into patches and submit them, or just keep them
to myself?

Another problem the program warns about is incompatible macro
redefinitions. In a few places the differences are just white space,
and I have made local fixes.  In other places, the differences are
more substantial and there are two basic options available. The more
difficult solution is to change the definitions in wine to make them
compatible with the rest of the system.  This could cause problems for
people with different system configurations.  The other solution is to
simply #undef the macros before redefining them.

Should I turn the simple fixes into patches and submit them?

Should I submit the other problems as bug reports?

Max