Trailing white space and other pedantry.

André Hentschel nerv at dawncrow.de
Mon May 16 12:00:42 CDT 2011

Am 16.05.2011 18:34, schrieb max at mtew.isa-geek.net:
> From: Max TenEyck Woodbury<max at mtew.isa-geek.net>
>
> I have been working on the documentation extraction problem and code
> analysis problem.
>
> I have made some progress with the program I am writing to do this.  It
> reads the same files as c2man.pl does, but does a more detailed parse
> of the code.  In fact, it even reads and processes all the include
> files.  It is far from complete at this time, but it does produce
> interesting warnings.
>
> One of the warnings reports lines with trailing while space.  It has
> turned up quite a few places where this occurs.  If I understand the
> preferred style, there should not be trailing white space.  The
> question I have is what should I do with them.  I can either fix the
> files or turn that particular warning off.  So far, I have been fixing
> the files on a local copy of the repository.
>
> Should I turn the fixes into patches and submit them, or just keep them
> to myself?

No, whitespace only changes will not be accepted.
Your are right about the preferred style, but most likely the regarding code is a bit old.
new code should never have trailing whitespace.
The best reason is "git blame" to see who wrote the code, i think that makes it clear.

--

Best Regards, André Hentschel