performance regression or not?

Stefan Dösinger stefandoesinger at gmx.at
Mon May 23 14:52:40 CDT 2011

On Monday 23 May 2011 19:13:10 Joerg-Cyril.Hoehle at t-systems.com wrote:
> This looks like a serious performance degradation over time, isn't it?
> Actually, the situation is much subtler and so confusing that I don't
> know what to think about it.
I'd say this is a performance regression in any case, although probably not a
classic one where a function became slower. Considering that the CPU isn't
fully utilized the application is probably waiting for something(e.g. a
critical section) longer than it should. Even a slight change in an unrelated
place might change that behavior. That could explain why disabling sound
changes the behavior, or changing the settings(this often restarts the 3D
renderer).

The strange bisect result could occur because the bug isn't always
reproducible, so you entered git bisect good when you actually had bad code.
It would be even nastier if the original code didn't always work and the game
went from "works 80% of the time" to "works 20% of the time".