winealsa: Don't set ALSA's period time.

Andrew Eikum aeikum at codeweavers.com
Thu Nov 3 08:07:17 CDT 2011

On Thu, Nov 03, 2011 at 09:41:46AM +0100, Joerg-Cyril.Hoehle at t-systems.com wrote:
> perhaps I shouldn't send this one day before release...
>
> I argue that Wine has no business setting ALSA's period size,
> esp. not to a completely random value like duration/10.
> Better leave it complete freedom, as confirmed in
> http://mailman.alsa-project.org/pipermail/alsa-devel/2011-August/042837.html
>
> What I think may be interesting is set min and/or max of the *buffer* time

I completely agree, and have similar patches sitting in Bugs 28723
(don't set period time) and 28282 (request ALSA buffer time near
requested MMDevice buffer time; needs more thought), although I was
waiting for feedback from users before submitting.

I have no problem with this patch getting in today, though it is late
in the cycle, yeah ;)

Andrew