[2/2] mscoree: Implement ICorDebug CreateProcess

Alistair Leslie-Hughes leslie_alistair at hotmail.com
Sat Nov 5 02:58:04 CDT 2011

Hi Vincent,

On 5/11/2011 2:06 AM, Vincent Povirk wrote:
> I'm curious why you've chosen to work on this. Is there a program
> relying on this, or do you have some .NET debugging tools you'd like
> to use? Or are you thinking we'd implement our own debugging tool as
> well (perhaps extending winedbg)?
I'm working with Enterprise Architect, and currently it possible to
debug Windows application without problem.  Since it also support
debugging .NET application I thought I would go down this path.

> Better debugging tools for wine/mono would definitely be nice, but
> there are a lot of things we need, and this is not the first one I'd
> pick.
>
> The current state of the art in Mono debugging is the soft debugger.
>  From what I've heard, all other debugger technologies in Mono have
> been deprecated.
> http://www.mono-project.com/Mono:Runtime:Documentation:SoftDebugger
>
> They have documentation on the wire protocol, which is probably what
> we'd end up using because .NET libraries are inconvenient to use.
>
>  From what I can tell, the soft debugger needs to be configured to
> listen for TCP connections on a particular port. Ideally, we would
> want to modify it by adding a new "transport" using something like a
> named pipe server named based on the process id (it looks
> straightforward to do so, but we'd have to modify the mono runtime).
> Otherwise, I'm not sure how we'd identify the socket server for the
> process we want, and having mono run a TCP server all the time seems
> like a bad idea.
>
> It may also be possible to configure mono to use the soft debugger in
> the "normal" way and attach to it with a Linux MonoDevelop, if you
> want a quicker solution. It seems like it's designed to remotely debug
> any mono process on any platform. If you figure out how to do this,
> wiki documentation would be appreciated.

Thanks for the link and the information.  I'll investigate and see what
I can achieve.

Best Regards
  Alistair Leslie-Hughes