winealsa: 6 Channel Audio

Chris Robinson chris.kcat at gmail.com
Mon Oct 24 08:26:18 CDT 2011

On Monday, October 24, 2011 8:08:58 AM Andrew Eikum wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 23, 2011 at 05:57:04PM -0700, Chris Robinson wrote:
> >                        A configuration option (in
> > winecfg/control panel) would be needed to set it into a different mode.
> > Windows has something similar to this for its own audio device
> > configuration in the control panel.
> My reaction to this is "urrrrrrrghhhhhhh". I'd much rather tuck it
> away in a registry entry than put it in winecfg for everyone to mess
> with. I was surprised to see that option on my Win 7 VM, although the
> control is actually inactive.

Personally, I don't think users should be asked to manually edit the registry
to enable 4-channel or 5.1 surround sound, to select 48khz playback, or to
enable 24- or 32-bit output. They're not uncommon settings, so many people may
want to use it, but not common enough to make them default. A control panel
applet would also provide a nice place to test the separate channels to make
sure they're mapping correctly.