Getting Wine's PO files on Launchpad

Francois Gouget fgouget at
Wed Sep 7 05:43:57 CDT 2011

On Tue, 6 Sep 2011, Austin English wrote:
> There's at least one other option:

It does not look like they make it possible to translate online. They
seem to be more like a repository for PO files. So it seems less
translator friendly and not as 'modern' as Launchpad.

The upside is that it does not look like they try to automatically
suggest translations from other projects so there may be less copyright
issues from this side. However the web site is not clear on copyright
issues, except for pushing translators to disclaim the copyright on
their work.

They also strongly discourage projects from accepting translations from
other sources that the translation project. I don't think we want to
introduce such a limitation in Wine so if their translators share that
point of view it could cause a clash.

But Launchpage is certainly not the only option. We could set up our own
Pootle server for instance.

A number of projects do so.

An advantage is that we would be in control of the policies and
copyright management. The drawback is that it requires more effort for
translators as they would have to create yet another account just for

All these options are also not necessarily mutually exclusive either
(though it raises coordination issues if a given language is worked
on on two sites).

Francois Gouget <fgouget at>
     We are Pentium of Borg. You will be approximated. Division is futile.