What is the PulseAudio underrun bug?

Andrew Eikum aeikum at codeweavers.com
Fri Sep 9 07:54:46 CDT 2011

On Fri, Sep 09, 2011 at 12:31:10PM +0200, Joerg-Cyril.Hoehle at t-systems.com wrote:
> As I see that the PA team is preparing release candidates for 1.0, I
> wonder whether the Wine team communicated them the issues we face.
> Browsing open tickets http://pulseaudio.org/report/1 I found nothing obvious.

The launchpad ticket I've been following is
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/alsa-plugins/+bug/805940>
Their solution was to introduce yet another option, handle_underrun=2,
which handles underruns even better than handle_underrun=1! Or
something. Really I don't know. handle_underrun=2 is now the new
default, unless it's overridden by a user- or application-specified
configuration. Which Wine does, so we no longer get this
new-and-improved default... Have I mentioned my unending love for
audio APIs?

Some testing has shown that handle_underrun=1 and handle_underrun=2
both work well with winealsa.drv. So we'll probably drop the
handle_underrun=1 override after alsa-plugins 1.0.25 becomes common.

Andrew