RFC: Translating Wine's dialogs with PO files

Michael Stefaniuc mstefani at redhat.com
Mon Sep 12 12:56:25 CDT 2011

Hello Francois,

before I start: my comment below in no way implies that option 4 is the
way to go.

On 09/12/2011 07:28 PM, Francois Gouget wrote:
> Option 4 - Put the sizes in special PO files
>
> This would really be a very ugly hack.
> Like option 2 it requires that every control of a given dialog have a
> unique id. Then for each of them we would create PO file entries of
> the form:
>
>    msgctxt "<rc-filename>:<dialog-id>:<control-id>"
>    msgstr ""
You wouldn't need a special PO file. You could put that info into a
comment of the respective entry to translate using the "#." comment.
http://www.gnu.org/s/hello/manual/gettext/PO-Files.html says:
"Comment lines starting with #. contain comments given by the
programmer, directed at the translator; these comments are called
extracted comments because the xgettext program extracts them from the
program's source code."

This would avoid separate files, unique IDs for all the entries and
would be visible to the translator.

bye
	michael