"make test" redux 2

Alexandre Julliard julliard at winehq.org
Fri Sep 16 16:31:15 CDT 2011

Dan Kegel <dank at kegel.com> writes:

> But sometimes bad patches don't fail during the few test runs
> currently done, get committed, and then start causing unrelated
> patches to fail randomly, poisoning future test runs until it the bug
> is fixed or the bad patch reverted.
> It would be nice if Alexandre reverted bad patches as soon as
> the buildbot started going red, without waiting for his usual
> daily batch of commits, and without waiting for someone to
> fix the bad patch.  (Maybe this can be discussed at wineconf.)

I'm not going to revert patches, that would make a mess of the
history. Reverting is a serious event and should happen only when a
change is completely wrong, not when it happens to not be 100% correct
or to have some unwanted side effect.

There are already many checks done before commit, and adding more checks
like you do is of course a very good idea. All together, that should
ensure that no committed patch can cause dramatic breakage. But there
will always be minor breakages, and flaky tests, and race conditions,
and buildbot must be able to deal with them gracefully, without
requiring me to scramble a revert.

--
Alexandre Julliard
julliard at winehq.org