po: Update Russian translation

Nikolay Sivov bunglehead at gmail.com
Wed Sep 21 03:55:51 CDT 2011

On 9/21/2011 12:39, Francois Gouget wrote:
>>   #: wordpad.rc:174
>>   msgid "inch"
>>   msgstr "inch"
> Based on your exchange with Nikolay Sivov it sounds like this could be
> translated.
Right, I just pointed out that used translation is reserved for
decimetre in Russian, but I doubt it'll
be much of confusion in this case because of dialogue function. Anyway I
can't think of better one,
commonly used way to mark inch is seconds sign like - 1/72", but it's
not acceptable here.
>   #: xcopy.rc:35
>   msgid "%s? (Yes|No)\n"
> -msgstr ""
> +msgstr "%s? (Yes (да)|No (нет))\n"
> I believe this one is a bit ambiguous because it does not make it clear
> whether to type 'Yes' or 'да' (only the first character counts as the
> 'Yes key' anyway). My understanding is that the two standard ways to
> deal with this are:
>
>   * "(Yes|No)" ->  "(да|нет)" and "Y" ->  "д"
>     This is used for languages where typing the translated strings
>     presents no special challenge.
>
>   * "(Yes|No)" ->  "(да (Y)|нет (N))" and "Y" ->  "Y"
>     If typing the translated strings is cumbersome for some reason (but
>     I guess it's not the case here).
>     In truth this approach is mostly used for accelerators. I guess
>     that's because Alt cannot be combined with characters composed
>     through dead keys or special input methods, and also because it
>     avoids trouble with accelerator collisions in case two translations
>     start with the same letter (like if 'Yes' and 'No' both both
>     translated to words starting with 'C' for instance).
I don't know what we use for other languages but I prefer second way.