Tests failing on OSX

Ken Thomases ken at codeweavers.com
Thu Sep 22 08:47:06 CDT 2011

On Sep 22, 2011, at 4:49 AM, Francois Gouget wrote:

> On Wed, 21 Sep 2011, Charles Davis wrote:
> [...]
>>> I also wondered if Xquartz brings it's own X11 headers and libraries. I
>>> haven't found any, so I'm still using /usr/X11/include and /usr/X11/bin.
>> Xquartz puts its include and lib files in /opt/X11/include and /opt/X11/lib, respectively.
>
> That does not sound right. I have installed XQuartz 2.6.1 on my Leopard
> machine and I have no /opt/X11 directory. In fact I don't really know
> where XQuartz installed itself. I suspect it overwrote the files in
> /usr/X11.

XQuartz installs differently on Leopard vs. later versions of the OS.  On Leopard, it was considered the upgrade path for the built-in X11, so it does replace it.  On later versions of the OS, the built-in X11 is considered a system component which is only upgraded by Software Update, and then only rarely for things like security updates.  It's intended to be a stable component of the system.  XQuartz installs in a separate location, /opt/X11, so as not to interfere with the built-in X11 or anything which relies on it.

-Ken