RFC: Highlighting Fall-throughs

Andrew Talbot Andrew.Talbot at talbotville.com
Thu Sep 22 16:20:12 CDT 2011

Hi All,

I am thinking of marking any unmarked places in switch statements where
fall-through occurs. However, simply to do so would be to ignore the
question of whether each fall-through is intentional or an oversight.

I therefore propose to mark each new point with two comments (maybe
separate, maybe combined): one to state that fall-through occurs and the
other to point out that the validity of this particular fall-through has not
yet been checked, maybe something like:

    select(x)
    {
    case 1:
        foo();
        break;
    case 2:
        bar();
        /* fall through */ /* unaudited */
    default:
        baz();
    }

Is this all good, or is there a better way?

Thanks,

--
Andy.