Quick Question

Ben Peddell klightspeed at netspace.net.au
Mon Sep 26 07:47:56 CDT 2011

On 26/09/2011 3:07 PM, Peter Wilson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Quick question, might be silly, but is there a version of Wine that can be installed on windows or linux to create apps for Mac?
>
> I just want to keep my mac clean and try run things in a dev environment, and apple are always so polite to make visualization a pain…
>
> Thank you very much for you help,
>
> Kind Regards,
>
> Peter Wilson

Wine is an implementation of the Windows APIs that will run on Linux and
Mac OS X (and others).

It sounds like you are asking for a binary-compatible implementation of
the Carbon / Cocoa APIs that will run on Linux or Windows, as well as a
Windows or Linux hosted development environment targeted to the Carbon /
Cocoa APIs.

If you are the one developing the application, why not use one of the
cross-platform graphical libraries such as SDL, GTK+, wxWidgets, etc.

If the application uses 3D graphics, many of those cross-platform
graphical libraries also have support for OpenGL.

If you don't want to have to re-compile between your host platform and
your target platform, then you'd have to use something like Java or Mono
to build a platform-independent binary, use Python or similar, or
install Wine on the Mac and create a Windows binary.

--
Ben Peddell
IT Support Bowen, Collinsville, Proserpine and Home Hill Catholic schools