winecfg: Remove driver selection from Audio tab.

Scott Ritchie scott at open-vote.org
Wed Sep 28 21:44:58 CDT 2011

On 09/28/2011 10:10 AM, Austin English wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 11:55, Scott Ritchie <scott at open-vote.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> If Wine would release stable versions every 3-4 months sure. But last
>>> stable version released on April 8. And only contains small number of
>>> fixes since wine-1.2 which was released on July 16.
>>>
>>> Many programs don't work with wine-1.2.3 for number of reasons. Besides,
>>> everywhere (forum, bugzilla, irc) we tell users to upgrade to latest
>>> development version, because we not going to fix any bugs in old
>>> "stable" versions.
>>>

>> There's a reason I've consistently been advocating for more frequent, or
>> even regular, stable releases.  We don't need fancy big features to
>> justify a release, mere apps working is enough.
>
> There's no reason you (as a package manager) couldn't choose a
> particular development release and mark it as stable in your
> distribution. E.g., Fedora does this, currently has wine 1.3.21,
> unless you enable updates-testing, which has 1.3.29.
>
> In any case, I think this topic is best reserved for discussion at
> Wineconf, especially since it's not that far away ;).

Yes, I already ship a Wine1.3 package in the install, and it should be
the "default" most people find when searching for Wine.

But that means users aren't getting the advantage of a real release
process here.  If that's too involved an effort to do frequently enough
for distros to not feel obligated to ship development releases by
default, then perhaps we need to discuss a different strategy.

In either case, I think we can all agree that more automated continuous
testing of git would be a nice thing to have.  So I got my daily PPA,
Dan's got buildbot, and many of us have been expanding Wine's test suite.

I hope to also tie in automated winetricks and winetricks-style
application tests to the daily PPA soon as well.

Thanks,
Scott Ritchie