RFC: KUSER_SHARED_DATA update patch to fix bug 29168

Joey Yandle dragon at dancingdragon.be
Mon Apr 2 21:11:45 CDT 2012

> I know they declined an in-process wineserver due to difficulties
> blaming the right component on a crash: is it the app or wine that's faulty?
>
> I found no other relevant discussion on wine-devel since January 2010,
> when searching for first 'share' and then 'server'.

If anyone does know how Alexandre et alia feel about sharing data
between wine and wineserver, please let me know.  It seems the closest
to what Windows does, in the context of wine.  And as long as the
mapping is read-only from wine, then it seems unlikely to cause too many
difficulties.

> Too bad if a fork is needed, couldn't the sharing be configurable?

It definitely could, and I would prefer to avoid a fork if at all
possible.  We could set a wine registry key and only start the
thread/memory map if it is present.

If this is an acceptable alternative, then I can submit patches which do
this.

cheers,

Joey