urlcache: what all are you working on?

Morten Rønne morten.roenne at tdcadsl.dk
Thu Apr 5 14:17:10 CDT 2012

Hi Juan

My wish to fix urlcache comes from the fact that World of Warcraft use it.
The most common error seen in a wow logfile is: CommitUrlCacheEntry:
entry already in cache - don't know what to do
So I started looking at how to fix that.
I assume that most people that play WoW installs a native wininet to
solve this problem.
But I like to run a full native wine to see these kind of problems. :)

I saw several bug reports in bugzilla, reporting problems with a full
urlcache, which I also see sometimes in WoW.
So I added that to the list of things I would like to do.

So I have been working on commit and internal cleanup.
For now I am waiting for Piotr to commit his changes, as he got there first.
After that I will rework my patches with things that Piotr haven't
already done.

While working on the my changes, I have thought about doing further
implementation and code rework.
But now I will wait and see, how it looks after Piotr's changes.

On removing urlcache:
A number of programs (seem to) use it, even though wine itself doesn't
use urlcache that much.
So removing urlcache would probably break a lot of running programs.

As to make wine use urlcache more, that would be something further down
the line.
I wont commit to doing that, but I have thought on how to work further
on persistent cookies, which also uses urlcache.

Best Regards
Morten Rønne