'Pending' patches state

Dmitry Timoshkov dmitry at baikal.ru
Mon Apr 9 01:50:57 CDT 2012

Jerome Leclanche <adys.wh at gmail.com> wrote:

> I think the general feeling is that Pending should be renamed to "Decision
> pending" and that more feedback is needed at least in the form of "this is
> the wrong approach" or "this may be the right approach, explain yourself
> better". But the general feeling is that "Pending" currently means "Not
> good enough" and never gets looked at again. I agree it's very confusing.

It should be in the best ineterests of the project to provide as much feedback
as possible, and should improve not only amount of accepted code (by encouraging
developers provide more comments/explanations/tests/etc. and more actively
discuss possible ways to fix a particular bug), but also code quality and help
developers better understand what could be improved in future submissions.
Silently marking a patch as 'pending' doesn't help with that at all.

Consider that if two my patches for SetParent would be accepted one year ago
but not one year later (without a single change but just afer asking once
again what's wrong with them), that fundamental SetParent bug could be already
fixed long time ago.

--
Dmitry.