[GSoC] Reduce dependency on native dlls

Henri Verbeet hverbeet at gmail.com
Sun Apr 15 12:33:37 CDT 2012

On 14 April 2012 05:03, William Panlener <wpanlener at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have two concerns with this proposal:
> 1) Is it unusual to work towards improving a specific application rather
> than focusing on a specific component of wine?
In general Wine development it's pretty common. For GSoC it's a bit
more uncommon, but I don't think that necessarily makes it bad.

> 2) The scope of the project is difficult to gauge in advance since the next
> problematic stub cannot be identified until all the previous problematic
> stubs are taken care of.  Is this an issue for a GSoC proposal?
Somewhat. We generally like GSoC projects to be fairly well defined
tasks, so that it's clear up front how much work it's approximately
going to be and when it's finished. You could probably make the
proposal a bit more concrete by taking a look at the application's
import table and checking which of those imports are unimplemented.

However, while I'm not that closely involved with GSoC, I was under
the impression that the deadline for submitting proposals has already
passed.