Request for help/advice in investigation of one interesting "huge FPS regression" bug

Stefan Dösinger stefandoesinger at gmx.at
Sun Apr 15 12:50:03 CDT 2012

Am Sonntag, 15. April 2012, 07:22:34 schrieb Alexey Loukianov:
> When I configure an app to run in a windowed mode I've got around 40 FPS on
> game login screen with nVIDIA drivers 275.09.07, but switching into using
> more recent versions causes FPS to drop to around ~10.
It could be a driver bug as you suspect, which is difficult to track down -
your best bet would be using something like oprofile to find out which GL
calls show performance changes.

It could also be because of some additional features added in newer drivers.
16 byte alignment for vertex buffers is a possibility, I believe it was added
in the 280 drivers. You can check this by disabling GL_ARB_map_buffer_range.
If this improves performance, you're probably running into a dynamic buffer
related issue. It wouldn't explain the windowed vs fullscreen difference, but
it's still worth checking.