winedbg and program stdout

Eric Pouech eric.pouech at orange.fr
Sat Apr 21 03:53:22 CDT 2012

Le 21/04/2012 10:33, Ilya Basin a écrit :
> When I debug a program with winedbg, it's output never goes to the
> same terminal. If it's compiled with -mconsole, it goes to a new
> console window; if compiled with -mwindows, the output is discarded.
> Any way to change this behavior?

if your debuggee is a CUI (compiled with -m console), then winedbg
forces to have two consoles, one for winedbg, the other one for the
debuggee program
that's a decision. if you want to change this, remove the
CREATE_NEW_CONSOLE flag in programs/winedbg/tgt_active.c
(actually we could make this an optional behavior of winedbg to share
the current console with debuggee's output)

if your debuggee is a GUI, it's windows default behavior not to create
automatically a console for this program
you need to call AllocConsole() in your debuggee for that. and it that
case, wine will likely have to create a new window for the console

A+

--
Eric Pouech
"The problem with designing something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of a complete idiot." (Douglas Adams)