Ubuntu 12.04 (version#2, drop previous mail)

Damjan Jovanovic damjan.jov at gmail.com
Mon Apr 30 04:01:52 CDT 2012

On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 10:37 AM, Eric Pouech <eric.pouech at orange.fr> wrote:
>> This is because you _cannot_ install the 32-bit -dev packages onto
>> 12.04.  It's not just symlinks that are missing, many of the header
>> files are different between the arches.
> I'm not sure this is a generic rule, and if it were, then exclusion
> between i386 and x86_64 should be defined on most dev packages, and
> it's not the case
> also note, that in some cases, arch specific headers are moved to arch
> dependent directories (e.g. jpeg, glib...), which should also parallel
> install of multi-arch libs
> in any case, the job by ubuntu folks in 12.04 done is crappy, to say the least
>
>> Just do the chroot.  You will save yourself so much grief and it will
>> actually work.
> if the ubuntu folks keep this state of mind, then they'll continue to sink
> the best solution is then to pick up another distro
> A+

+1. One of the reasons I stopped contributing to Wine is that it
became too hard to set up 32 bit dev libraries on a 64 bit Ubuntu
11.10 system with its broken multiarch. I was hoping it would be fixed
in 12.04, but if it's so broken now that we have to use a chroot, then
I might as well use FreeBSD where chroot has always been the only way.

Damjan Jovanovic