Small patch to make Adobe Lightroom 4.x work with wine 1.5.17

Marcus Meissner marcus at jet.franken.de
Sun Dec 2 16:09:39 CST 2012

Hi,

Sorry for not answering sooner, I was distracted by work
and a broken workstation at home :/

On Sun, Dec 02, 2012 at 04:19:24PM +0100, Roland Baudin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> here is a small patch that allows me to make Adobe Photoshop
> Lightroom 4.x work very well with wine 1.5.17.
>
> First let me recall that Adobe Photoshop Lightroom is *the* catalog
> and raw development application for professional photographers and
> hobbyists.
>
> The patch has two parts. The first part essentially modifies the
> file sync.c from the kernel32 dll and implements some functions
> related to Condition Variables. I found an original patch by Marcus
> Meissner and I fixed it because it led to a 100% CPU load. I tried
> to contact Marcus to discuss my changes with him, but he didn't
> answer and so I submit my changes to this list, otherwise my work
> would be lost...

So generally, my patch is basically just a "hack" to get it work.

While it does work mostly, it is not the best and correct implementation,
and Alexandre wants a correct implementation of Condition Variables.

I don't have the time to do it right currently.

:/

> The second part modifies the file menu.c from the user32 dll. It
> allows the menu bar to appear in Lightroom when the windows version
> is set to winxp. I'm not the author of this patch but if I remember
> well, I found it several monthes ago somewhere in the wine patch
> list.

This might be easier to get in as above, but it should be seperated
out and likely needs a testcase.

Perhaps the other gurus can take it ;)

> With the patch applied, I was able to run Lightroom 4.2 flawessly,
> and it's very stable. I (and other users) have found only minor bugs
> (like a limitation of the number of shown thumbnails to 455 per
> folder on a 22 inches display) but the patch is a huge step forward
> for Lightroom.
>
> Here is a link where I explain the whole installation procedure
> (message #34) : http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/digital-processing-software-printing/159894-lightroom-3-4-linux-its-alive-working-pretty-well-3.html
>
> I apologize because I don't have the skills to write a test for the
> functions of this patch...

No worries, even feedback and hacky patches help to show where
Wine can go :)

Ciao, Marcus