wininet: Don't perform revocation checks when verifying a certificate.

Hans Leidekker hans at codeweavers.com
Tue Dec 11 14:37:49 CST 2012

On Tue, 2012-12-11 at 11:52 -0800, Juan Lang wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 6:10 AM, Hans Leidekker <hans at codeweavers.com> wrote:
>         On Tue, 2012-12-11 at 14:52 +0100, Jacek Caban wrote:
>         > On 12/11/12 09:45, Hans Leidekker wrote:
>         > > https://testbot.winehq.org/JobDetails.pl?Key=23300 is a test which shows that
>         > > revocation checks fail for the certificate on outlook.com when passed straight
>         > > to CertVerifyRevocation. The reason is that a CRL link specified in the
>         > > certificate does not resolve.
>         > >
>         > > https://testbot.winehq.org/JobDetails.pl?Key=23301 is a test which makes
>         > > a secure connection to outlook.com from wininet and shows that this succeeds.
>         > >
>         > > My conclusion is that native wininet doesn't perform revocation checks.
>         >
>         > Your tests prove that we should relax our verification on
>         > CERT_TRUST_IS_OFFLINE_REVOCATION or something similar. To prove that
>         > revocation checks are not made, a test with truly revoked cert would be
>         > needed.
>

>         True, though to perform the revocation check the CRL has to be retrieved and my
>         tests with wireshark didn't show any signs of that.
>

> Would adding to the tests as part of this patch be a bad thing?

I thought about that but I am hesitant to use a random site that's not under our
control.

The alternative is to setup our own site with a certificate that only fails the
revocation check, which I think means that we need to have it signed by a trusted
root and then revoked. I'm not sure we have the means to do that currently.

Do you have any suggestions?