RFC: Remove auto-scan of ALSA devices from winealsa.drv

Joerg-Cyril.Hoehle at t-systems.com Joerg-Cyril.Hoehle at t-systems.com
Wed Dec 12 09:23:52 CST 2012

Hi,

Henri Verbeet suggested:
>But supposedly we'll have a winepulse driver eventually, so winealsa
>would only need to care about actual ALSA devices.
Alas, it's only after you opened the device that you can discover that
it's PulseAudio, at which time it is too late.
Also, I don't know if PA is the only front-end with such weird side-effects.

Max TenEyck Woodbury objected:
>Replacing the ability to use a drop box in the app to select the audio
>device with a 'regedit' session is not an improvement.
My proposal intentionaly was silent about GUI changes, but you are right:
in such a case, winecfg should provide a textedit box for users to enter a
(or edit the registry's) comma-separated list of ALSA device names.
I'm not sure if winecfg is currently sufficiently detached from winmm/mmdevapi
for such editing to take effect immediately. I remember bugs where the
"Test Sound" button would continue to use the previously selected device.

Regards,
 Jörg Höhle