RFC: Remove auto-scan of ALSA devices from winealsa.drv

Andrew Eikum aeikum at codeweavers.com
Wed Dec 12 10:24:37 CST 2012

On Wed, Dec 12, 2012 at 04:45:11PM +0100, Henri Verbeet wrote:
> On 12 December 2012 16:31, Andrew Eikum <aeikum at codeweavers.com> wrote:
> > Even ignoring the Pulse case, we don't have an acceptable enumeration
> > API.
> Yes, I know. I just don't think it would be unreasonable to try to
> work with ALSA upstream to fix that.

I asked about this topic back in January and didn't really receive a
useful response:
http://mailman.alsa-project.org/pipermail/alsa-devel/2012-January/047821.html

In fact, Jörg's original question was basically ignored:
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.alsa.devel/92878/focus=92923

There doesn't seem to be much motivation to fix this. I know the ALSA
devs are working on a channel mapping API, which will (probably?) make
the surroundXX interfaces obsolete.

I've been trying to think of a way to define "useful ALSA interface,"
and I'm coming up blank. Should it just be all of
"plug:'CARD=ABC,DEV=n'" and all interfaces in various asoundrc? Do we
wait until the channel mapping API is in so we can obsolete the
surroundXX stuff?  What about other plugins like "dmix"? Are those
useful to enumerate? Is there a way to enumerate plugins?

I think the problem is complicated enough and unimportant enough that
it's not really on anyone's plate. Meanwhile Wine displays useless
devices.

Andrew