Use software vertex processing instead of mixed?

Francois Gouget fgouget at free.fr
Fri Dec 14 06:11:13 CST 2012

On Fri, 14 Dec 2012, Henri Verbeet wrote:
[...]
> > How important is it to use mixed mode instead of software, at least for
> > these tests?
> >
> I doubt it matters at all here.

Ok. I've sent the patch to wine-patches.

The other thing which is strange is that I only get trouble about mixed
vertex processing on Windows. On Linux CreateDevice() succeeds in
either mode.

> In the general case though, we probably want
> D3DCREATE_HARDWARE_VERTEXPROCESSING if we can get it. (See also
> create_device() in e.g. dlls/d3d9/tests/device.c)

About that function, by the time we try software vertex processing
we've changed AutoDepthStencilFormat. Shouldn't we try more something
like this pseudo-code:

    for processing in HARDWARE, SOFTWARE:
        for format in D3DFMT_D24S8, D3DFMT_D16:
            if SUCCEEDED(CreateDevice()):
                return device;

I.e. based on my very limited recent experience it seems to me that the
sticking point is more likely to be the vertex processing mode than the
depth stencil format (I have confirmed that on my GMA950 CreateDevice()
succeeds for the D24S8+SOFTWARE combination).

(I ordered the loop so we pick HARDWARE if at all possible as it seems
to be the goal)