SourceForge forbids download

Juan Lang juan.lang at gmail.com
Tue Feb 7 06:19:33 CST 2012

Hi Aidin,

On Mon, Feb 6, 2012 at 11:01 AM, Aidin Gharibnavaz <aidin at aidinhut.com> wrote:
> SourceForge blocked download for some countries by default, such as Iran.
> (More detail can be found here)
>
> So, if it's not illegal to you to let Iranians download your software,
> please go to the SourceForge's ProjectAdmin, and set the ExportControl
> option, to let us enjoy the great work of yours.

While it may or not be illegal, and I am not a lawyer, I believe it
isn't legal to allow a download from the US without having applied for
a review first:
http://www.bis.doc.gov/encryption/encfaqs6_17_02.html

Wine includes general encryption algorithms, not just authentication,
and doesn't have restrictions on key length.  While many of the
cryptographic primitives were obtained from freely-available source
code, I don't know whether things like certificate verification fall
under the review requirements.

Hence, I don't believe that we can enable downloads from Iran on
SourceForge.  It's entirely possible to get the Wine source via other
means, however.

Sorry for the hassle.
--Juan