winmm: TRACE unhandled messages

Andrew Eikum aeikum at codeweavers.com
Wed Feb 8 11:26:37 CST 2012

On Wed, Feb 08, 2012 at 11:22:42AM +0100, Joerg-Cyril.Hoehle at t-systems.com wrote:
> Your rewrite no more maps WOD_XYZ* messages to waveOut functions.
> I believe that it is possible that an old app entirely uses the generic SendDriverMessage function
> (esp. in the mciavi/msvfw area, cf. ICSendMessage) instead of the specific wave/midi* ones.
> Can you be sure that this is not supported by native, esp. w9x?

Good question. All of the following is on my Win 7 VM. I tested both
with no compatibility and with WinXP SP3 compatibility.

I tried using OpenDriver with "wave", "wavemapper", "wdmaud.drv", and
"msacm32.drv" (last two found in Win 7 registry), all of which return
NULL (ie, error). So I think SendDriverMessage() is unlikely to be
interesting.

I wasn't able to get any useful results with WODM_* or WOD_* through
waveOutMessage. Interestingly, WOD_OPEN returns NOTSUPPORTED, while
WODM_OPEN crashes. I tried passing various combinations of
WAVEOPENDESC, MMDRV_MESSAGE_PARAMS (not in the PSDK or Wine's
include), and NULL to the function, but everything crashes. It's
possible there's something useful there, but I can't figure out how to
get at it.

Using the simpler case of WODM_GETNUMDEVS also failed in every case.

> If Wine does not map these, all we'll get to "hear" in AppDB is that attentive
> people miss sound or music that they remember listening to 10 years ago on native.

Well, hopefully they would also file bugs :)

Andrew