winealsa.drv patch to enum all software devices from .asoundrc

Joerg-Cyril.Hoehle at t-systems.com Joerg-Cyril.Hoehle at t-systems.com
Fri Feb 10 06:39:59 CST 2012

Hi,

There's no $HOME/.asoundrc on any of my systems, yet I'd like to
use "plug:dmix" with Wine, e.g. on systems with PulseAudio installed.
I can use speaker-test -Dplug:dmix with no trouble.
Will your patch make that appear in the list?

Нискородов Серёжа wrote:
>To check whether the device is a hardware, I can call a function
>snd_pcm_type. But first I need to get handle of pcm device using the
>snd_pcm_open. Okay, but then I have to cancel calling the function
>alsa_try_open and rewrite checking availability of the device to not
>to opening it twice.

Avoiding snd_pcm_open is important. Right now, we already have
tests that fail randomly because unfriendly devices like PulseAudio cling
to the underlying resource ("hw:0") for a couple of seconds, preventing
Wine from inspecting it (bug #28048), causing Wine IIRC to eliminate "hw:0"
from the list of available devices.  :-(  That is not satisfying at all.
Perhaps one easy shoot at it would be to access "default" last?
That's still much like crossing fingers.

Thank you,
	Jörg Höhle